Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Coping with Sports Mortality

This isn’t the first time I got over a Peyton Manning playoff loss within a day. This happened once before, back in January 2008. That was a time before I had DVR, and I came back home from a Regional Orchestra Concert to check my computer and see that the Chargers had upset the Colts 28-24. I was stunned, left to live with another January failure for Peyton. I didn’t even care enough to read about how he lost; good thing, since I didn’t have to worry about the gory details (picks that were screen passes batted up in the air, drops on 3rd and 4th down on the final drive, top-ranked defense blows lead twice and gives up TD to Billy Volek). Then, within a day I got over it.

The 2007 Colts were the 2nd best team in the AFC by any measure, and getting one-and-done’d by San Diego was most certainly a disappointment. Still, while they were quite clearly the 2nd best team, they were equally clearly not the 1st best. They wouldn’t have come close to the 2007 Patriots in Foxboro without Dwight Freeney and with Robert Mathis nursing his own injury. That team would probably have put up less of a challenge than the frisky Chargers did. It added up to another one-and-done, but it at least spared myself the ignominy of Peyton losing to Brady.

This year was different. I entered the weekend hoping the Ravens could knock off New England, and while they didn’t in their own crushing way, they exposed some flaws that I thought the Broncos could expose. Then I saw Peyton play, I saw him struggle to move, misfiring throws because he couldn’t step in to them. I was sure he was hurt, that something was wrong. That team, even if they eeked out a 17-14 win (you know, if that #4 ranked defense decided to show up), would have lost to New England. Word came out a day later that Manning’s thigh injury was worse than initially reported or thought, that he was really struggling all over the place since the San Diego game. Coupled with Manning’s diminished arm strength post-neck surgery, and the fact that he relies on his legs to generate power, it made sense that he was spotty. I was relieved to not have to deal with Broncos – Patriots (and, honestly, I can’t even talk myself enough into the Colts winning to care), but also saddened by the thought that seeing an injured Manning was my last sight of him.

Given the dramatic events that have transpired over the past 40 hours since the game ended, including the injury reports, to the millions of columns and tweets written his way calling for him to step aside (which I’m sure will burn him even more), to the firing of Fox and the uncertainty in the coaching staff, I was like a pendulum swinging between the idea that he was gone to he is coming back. I’ve know stuck on the ‘Manning is coming back for 2015’ side of the dial, but the fleeting moments where I thought he might have played his last game really got me thinking about my relationship with sports.

You always hear the phrase that you root for laundry, that the team is, and should, be more important than the players. That is a noble and serene frame of mind, held up rightfully as how to go about sports fandom, but it is a lie. It is a lie at least for someone my age. I’ve come to the point in my Sports fan life that I am seeing a full cycle of great athletes, but more importantly, a full cycle of favorite athletes, come and go. It started with Roy Oswalt, then it became Marty Brodeur leaving New Jersey, now it could be Peyton Manning. Rafael Nadal has seemingly been one bad slip away from the same roster for a few years now. I don’t remember watching football without Peyton Manning in the league, or watching the Devils without Marty. If I really am a sports fan, if I really will root for laundry, I can move on. As weird as it sounds coming from someone who has written primarily a sports blog for five –plus years now, maybe I am not.

When Peyton Manning left for Denver, I decided that while I will still follow and care for the Colts, my main goal as a fan will be rooting Peyton on to a 2nd Super Bowl, the one thing he deserves. I told myself that Peyton will play 3-5 years, after which I get prime-Luck for 10+ years. Now that I may be facing that scenario within a month, I’ve realized that I’m not ready for that world. I’m not ready for Peyton Manning to not line up on Sunday’s. I’m not ready for having a Manning-Brady debate that uses retrospective, instead of perspective and prospective. I’m not ready to root fully for Andrew Luck. I’m not ready to move on.

No athlete is as meaningful for me as Peyton Manning, mainly because no one combined so many interesting qualities. Manning was a perfectionist, a savant, a genius, but also deeply troubled in terms of his team’s inability to win in the playoffs. He was lauded and stoned by the media, by fans, by critics and appraisers. I always loved and will love him; I will put him up as the best QB in the history of football, and in my heart I know that is true, but I’ve never wanted other people to accept that fact more with any other athlete. Peyton was the life-force that drove my involvement. I do love football beyond Peyton. Certainly, if I have to rewatch a game, there are many I’ll choose ahead of games he was involved with; but Peyton drove me to know, watch, love and live the game. He may not be gone yet, but he will be within 24 months, I’m sure of it. Am I ready for that brave new world?
I was in hockey. I still love the game, if not the Devils less. I was ready in baseball, as I still love the game, and still love the Astros, that weird concoction of a Master Plan set to work by 2018. I don’t know if I’m ready for football. I’ve spent so much time and effort defending Peyton Manning, gathering evidence and counter-evidence, I feel like a lawyer who spent years working on one major case, or a writer doing the same for a book.

I knew this day would come with Peyton Manning, and I know it will for all athletes, but it actually happening is one of those interesting fork-in-the-road moments for a sports fan. Coming to face-to-face with your favorites star’s career mortality makes you investigate your own fanhood’s as well. I’ve already past the first test with no issue: having and starting to root for players who are my own age, if not younger. I can do that without any problem. But can I replace the first wave of favorites, of stars, of idols? Can I do that and continue to love this game, or any game?

He may return. He probably will return. He may return and, with a new aggressive coach, and some new pieces, and a full healthy thigh and a knock-on-wood healthy year ahead, go 14-2 and ride off into the sunset with that 2nd trophy. That could happen, but even then I’ll have to face this problem, I’ll have to move forward knowing that the most important piece of my life as a sports fan, the man that has lorded over my fandom and that league with equal importance for 15 years, is no longer there.
I once envied that day. Assuming he could win another ring, I couldn’t wait for both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to retire. Then I could enjoy games against major rivals, I could stand to listen to sports talk radio toss up silly ‘who’s the best QB?’ questions. I can go back to doing what a sports fan should do: watch the game without alternating between gnawing off every fingernail in anxiety and gnashing your teeth to every inane argument. That day seemed so bright, but faced with the reality (or half reality, assuming Brady stays longer), it loom’s like a dark cloud.

This isn’t only about Peyton Manning. As stated, I faced a similar reality with Marty Brodeur, and I don’t know if I’ll ever care about hockey as much. It happened with Oswalt, the first of my sports heroes to exit the limelight; he was an even more tortured soul, someone who never got even 1% as many glowing career obituaries that Marty did and Peyton will. I’ll face it with Rafael Nadal, who will likely be forced into retirement. I root for laundry, sure, but I also openly, unabashedly, root for people. I got invested in Peyton Manning more than I got invested in the Colts. I got invested in Roy Oswalt more than the Astros. I got invested in them as people, to get the recognition they deserve, the get the success and joy they deserve even more. Through that, I lost some touch with the laundry, and with my own joy that I deserve as a fan.

I’ve cited a concept introduced to me by a Colts blogger (and somewhat e-friend through the years on various sites) Nate Dunlevy, that a team should be judged by how many ‘Happy Sunday’s’ they give you, not if they ultimately win a title. This was in backlash to the Manning era, on his release, that they only went to 2 Super Bowls, and only won one. He said that we didn’t appreciate the Manning era, as year after year, the Manning-led Colts gave us 12 Happy Sunday’s out of 16. It was a great point, and so true with those teams. They went 12-4 or better for seven straight years. They also lost a playoff game in all but one of those seasons. Did that make them failures? Even if the answer is yes, the better question is should that make them failures? And that answer is most certainly no.

Peyton Manning gave me more happy Sunday’s than any athlete ever will. Even this year he gave me a bunch, including him beating a TD record few thought he could three years ago when he was throwing so badly Todd Helton was embarrassed. The Colts gave me a bunch, and now the Broncos did as well. I have to embody that spirit of the ‘Happy Sunday’ as I move forward into the inevitable Manning-less NFL. Remember those days, bank those memories. Not the memories of promising seasons lost, but how those promising seasons were created in the first place – the games, and joys, laughs, cries, and heartburn that combined to make them something special.


The goal for a sports fan is to root for laundry, and I’ll have to do that to keep going. Everyone’s career will be shorter than your life as a fan. Laundry is the only thing that won’t. But I won’t feel bad for not doing so in the past, or continuing to attach myself to great athletes that intersect with teams I am passionate about. That is going against what gave me so many Happy Sundays in the first place. Sports life without Peyton Manning will be a hard place, but it will still be sports, it will still be there. To capture my future as a sports fan, I do have to enjoy the past more. Those memories are banked, from Manning, to Brodeur, to Oswalt, to Nadal, to even Duncan and Zidane and Ed Reed. I have to appreciate all that they gave me, but also all I learned from them about the games they mastered. Their lasting gift to their fans were the memories, but also the knowledge and excitement they gave us for the games they played, gifts that will carry on long after they’re gone.

About Me

I am a man who will go by the moniker dmstorm22, or StormyD, but not really StormyD. I'll talk about sports, mainly football, sometimes TV, sometimes other random things, sometimes even bring out some lists (a lot, lot, lot of lists). Enjoy.